
brussels New evidence supports suspicions that the September 2022 explosion of the Nord Stream pipeline may have been the work of Ukrainian saboteurs. As The Washington Post reported, three months before the explosion at the bottom of the Baltic Sea, U.S. authorities received detailed warnings from European secret services that a small team of combat divers was preparing to launch a bomb attack. As a result, the Americans are said to have notified the federal government.
It has a document from U.S. intelligence that summarizes findings about the attack plan, according to the Washington Post. Indicted National Guard member Jack Teixeira allegedly shared the document with hundreds of other secret documents in a private chat group on the online platform Discord. The Washington Post has gained access to many of these documents and published a series of articles on the intelligence leak.
The warnings of a planned attack dovetailed with leads federal prosecutors were pursuing. German investigators have identified a sailboat said to be involved in the attack. Investigators traced the Nord Stream vandals to the sailing ship Andromeda (“call sign DK7033”) and “Mola Yachting GmbH,” according to excerpts of the search warrant obtained by Handelsblatt newspaper.
The investigation so far can be summarized as follows: In early September 2022, several men and possibly a woman set sail on the Andromeda. Apparently there were experienced divers on board who could install multiple charges on the Nord Stream pipeline at a depth of 70 to 80 meters. Traces of explosives are said to have been found on the sailboat.
The explosion occurred on September 26 in the southeast and northeast of Bornholm island in the Danish Baltic Sea. One leg of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, which was never in service, and both legs of the older Nord Stream pipeline ruptured and released large amounts of gas.
Kiev-Germany relations could be seriously damaged
Danish and Swedish authorities quickly ruled out the possibility of an accident. According to experts, underwater photos of the explosion site showed that the explosives detonated outside the concrete-coated pipe.
>> Read here: What lessons NATO has learned from this conundrum
It was unclear whether the saboteurs were acting alone or on behalf of the Ukrainian government. It is also not ruled out that the perpetrators wrongly accused Ukraine of a “false flag operation”.
However, the Discord leaks now support the thesis that elements of Ukraine’s leadership may have been involved in the attack. According to classified information, the combat diving team has reported to the Supreme Commander of Ukraine, General Valery Salushny. If this is confirmed, Kiev’s relations with Europe – especially Germany – could be seriously damaged.
Nord Stream attack could cloud EU accession talks
Immediately after the explosion, NATO spoke of a “deliberate, reckless and irresponsible act of sabotage.” There were also plenty of signs at the time that Russia had blown up pipelines itself in order to exacerbate Europe’s energy crisis.
Western diplomats confirmed to Handelsblatt that the tracking of Ukraine was considered credible. Officially, however, no one is willing to comment on the political explosiveness. Ukraine relies on Western military aid and financial transfers to fend off Russia’s war of aggression.
Meanwhile, the Kiev government aims to join the European Union and NATO. In Brussels, the European Commission is expected to recommend that accession negotiations begin this year. The talks were clouded by growing suspicions that Ukraine was involved in the most devastating attack on Europe’s energy infrastructure since the end of World War II.
Kyiv has consistently denied reports of involvement
Ukraine has politically opposed the Nord Stream pipelines for years because they could be used to bypass Ukraine’s pipeline network. These pipelines give Russia the opportunity to blackmail Ukraine without compromising its lucrative business ties with Europe.
However, due to imperialist aggression against its neighbors, Moscow undermined its energy partnership with Europe. Even before the Nord Stream attack, Russia had stopped supplies to prevent Europe from supporting Ukraine. Brussels and Berlin draw up plans to permanently cut ties to Gazprom.
Why Ukraine should have ordered the blasting of pipelines that have become investment ruins is one of the biggest remaining mysteries. The Kiev government has repeatedly denied speculation of possible involvement.
Statements from Ukraine, Russia, the CIA and the United States on the new report were initially unavailable. Bruno Kahl, the head of the Federal Intelligence Service, dismissed hopes of a quick clarification in May, saying there were signs of “all possible directions”.
More on this: Will the mystery of destruction be solved?